Archaeological studies show that history of mining in Anatolia goes back to 8800BC. Turkey is located within the alpine orogenic zone and has been subjected to intensive tectonic movements. Turkey has been divided into numbers of tectonic plates, intensive igneous activities developed, ophiolite emplacements took place.
Iron ore deposits in Turkey are mainly small and medium size. They are genetically 6 types.
1. Contact metasomatic deposits. Divriği A and B bodies (Sıvas, CentralTurkey), Karamadazı (Erzincan), Bızmişen, Hasançelebi (EastTurkey).
2. Hydrothermal metasomatic deposits. Attepe, Mansurlu (Adana, SouthTurkey).
3. Volcano-sedimentary deposits. Hekimhan (Malatya, E.Turkey), Büyük Eymir (Balıkesir, WestTurkey).
4. Marine sedimentary deposits. Çamdağ (Sakarya, NW.Turkey).
5. Lateritic deposits. Avşarören (Sıvas, C.Turkey), Karaçam (Eskişehir, WestTurkey).
6. Placer deposits. C placer (Divriği, Central Turkey), Eastern Black sea coastal sands.